FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
31 JANUARY 2020
The Rondo Production is pleased to announce that the Penang International Wind Music Festival 2020 (PIWMF 2020), which is developed from the successful Penang International Brass Festival (PIBF) 2019, will be held from 3 to 6 June 2020 at the Performing Arts Centre of Penang (penangpac) in Straits Quay. With the addition of woodwind element this year, the festival aims to offer a comprehensive learning experience to all woodwinds and brass students as well as educators. At the same time, the festival has designed various informative workshops, masterclasses and concerts for the public, to increase the level of awareness towards music education in Malaysia. There will be instrument exhibitions and information booths, such as from Kojereeds (Malaysia), Music Elements (Singapore), ABRSM and many more displaying products at the foyer throughout the festival.
The festival programme is led by its Artistic Advisor, Joost Flach (Head of Wind Studies at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore), and chaired by its Director, Kenny Ooi (graduate of Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, Singapore). The artists lineup comprises internationally-renowned musicians and educators, as below:
- FLUTE: Ivy Chuang (Faculty, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts)
- OBOE: Bagaskoro Byar Sumirat (Principal oboe, Sun Symphony Orchestra, Vietnam)
- CLARINET: Pei-Yun Lin (Faculty, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taiwan)
- BASSOON: Kittima Molee (Faculty, College of Music, Mahidol University, Thailand)
- SAXOPHONE: Scarlet Gouk (Postgraduate, Eastman School of Music, United States)
- TRUMPET: Joseph Bowman (Faculty, College of Music, Mahidol University, Thailand)
- TRUMPET: Lau Wen Rong (Tutti trumpet, Singapore Symphony Orchestra)
- HORN: Daren Robbins (Faculty, College of Music, Mahidol University, Thailand)
- TROMBONE: Michael Robinson, Jr. (Faculty, College of Music, Mahidol University, Thailand)
- TUBA: Shawn Yap (Postgraduate, Zurich University of the Arts)
In addition, the festival has invited Seow Yibin, the Associate Conductor of the Orchestra of the Music Makers, Singapore, as its Festival Conductor. He will be leading the Festival Wind Ensemble, formed by the festival’s participants and faculty, to perform at the Festival Finale Concert on 6 June 2020. The highlight of the concert is the world premiere of commissioned works by two local composers, Yeo Chow Shern and Chow Jun Yan.The festival expects to welcome over 200 participants and 500 public audience members to the Pearl of the Orient – Penang – for a summer experience of music, culture and food. Registration of participants is now open until 1 April 2020. Public audience ticket sales will be available from 16 March 2020 onwards. The complete programme will be announced in due course at www.therondoproduction.com.my/piwmf2020 .